Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Budget and Profitability

Some questions I've been asked lately is in regards to both how game development and associated server costs and maintenance will be paid for, and whether or not Elandor Chronicles is being made for profit. It is true that there are very few games today that are freeware, or even if they are, they still source money elsewhere, such as from advertisements. Probably one of the most notable examples of this was 'Flappy Birds', which notoriously was making $50,000 a day from advertisements.

I've been passionate about making a video game since I was about sixteen, from all my lessons learned, Elandor Chronicles is all my dreams and ideas rolled into one game, and will also be the flagship title of my studio name. Profit was never a goal, although I have learned about some of the costs involved in working on the game.

I have been more then happy to pull funds out of my own pocket to help push the development of Elandor Chronicles. However, in due time I will be starting a Kickstarter crowd-fund pledge to assist in the development of Elandor Chronicles, including paying involved server costs, and paying for graphical assets to help both further and speed up development. Our team is small, and Elandor Chronicles is a fairly large scoped project.

Elandor Chronicles will be free to play, there was never any question about it. I have always been against premium stores and micro-transactions that offer any advantage to paying customers, so that won't be in Elandor Chronicles either. The initial game will be run on donations, the kickstarter crowd-funding, and perhaps a small cosmetic premium store at most.

Unfortunately I can't speak indefinitely about the game and its costs, although the initial release will be entirely free to play, if everything runs well and future expansions are planned, they may or may not be completely free to play. It's just too early to project and speculate that far ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment